Cardamom Chicken Curry
3 cardamom pods
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of curry paste (see our recipe for home made pasteJ)
5cm x 5cm cube ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 Friars Hat Chillies
500g chicken breast or thigh, roughly diced
2 large bell peppers sliced
5 fresh tomatoes cubed
12 sliced mushrooms
250ml single cream or cream fraiche
- Smash the cardamom pods, removing the seeds and discarding the husks before grinding the seeds in a pestle and mortar to produce a fine powder.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the finely diced ginger, chillies, garlic, onion and ground cardamom.
- Next add the diced chicken and stir until evenly coated and sealed on all sides.
- Add the curry paste and stir for a couple of minutes until the chicken starts to colour nicely then turn down the heat and add the tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms.
- After a few minutes the tomatoes and other veg should start to soften to make a nice rich sauce.
- At this stage at the spinach, stir until wilted and then add the cream.
- Over a low heat simmer for a further 10 minutes or until you are ready to serve.
- Serve with rice and green vegetables.